If their playoff itinerary had extended just one more week, though, the Giants would have had the luxury of their best pass rusher.
An impending free agent, Pierre-Paul added that he won’t be signing another one-year contract in New York.
“I’ve done proved it,” Pierre-Paul explained, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo. “… There’s not a guy like me doing it with seven and a half fingers.”
While that statement is technically correct, Pierre-Paul isn’t going to receive extra credit from front offices around the league for losing digits in a Fourth of July fireworks accident.
Despite this, Giants general manager Jerry Reese wants to Pierre-Paul to remain with the team.
“Of course we want him back,” Reese said Monday. “He’s a good football player.”
When Pierre-Paul returned from the injury for the final eight games of the 2015 season, he managed just one sack while playing with a club on his hand. After ditching the club for a glove this year, he progressed to seven sacks — including 5.5 over a two-game span to close out November.
He was just hitting his stride prior to the core-muscle injury, earning NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors while drawing consideration for the Comeback Player of the Year award.
“This is the new me,” Pierre-Paul said in late November. “I got to adjust to what I’m capable of doing with my hand. I feel this is as well as I’ve played since my new beginning last year. I’m like a rookie all over again.”
Pierre-Paul is set to test free agency shortly after his 28th birthday. As a proven pass rusher with strong run defense, he has a chance to regain the $60 million contract that New York rescinded after the fireworks accident.
Will the Giants make him an offer he can’t refuse before he reaches the open market in March?