In an AFC South that remains very much up for grabs, the Colts are down a significant player.
Quarterback Andrew Luck is still in the concussion protocol, head coach Chuck Pagano told reporters Tuesday. Luck, who did not participate in Tuesday’s practice, suffered a concussion during the Colts‘ 24-17 win over the Titans on Sunday, and is in serious jeopardy for Indianapolis’ major contest against Pittsburgh on Thanksgiving.
Luck’s value and importance to the Colts doesn’t need to be stated. Sitting at 5-5 and a game behind the Houston Texans in a tight AFC South, the timing of the injury is unfortunate to say the least. This is a situation to monitor leading up to the Thursday slate of games.
Elsewhere in injury news Tuesday:
1. Jay Cutler could be facing an early end to his 2016 season. The Bears quarterback is believed to have a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday. Cutler is undergoing a second opinion in hopes the results come out differently.
2. A torn ACL spells the end of a player’s season, but the Bengals assured it Tuesday in placing Giovani Bernard on injured reserve.
3. Dion Jordan is as close to returning to football as he’s been in nearly two years. The defensive end, who has had two knee surgeries on the same knee since the summer, is expected to practice Wednesday for the Dolphins. Drafted third overall out of Oregon in the 2013 draft, Jordan was out of football in 2015 in the wake of failing multiple drug tests, and hasn’t played in a game since Dec. 28, 2014.
5. The Panthers have designated defensive end Ryan Delaire as their one player eligible to return from injured reserve this season, opening a three-week window to decide if and when Delaire will return. Delaire’s return would be welcomed with a recent injury to Mario Addison (foot).
6. Niners safety Eric Reid (torn biceps) was placed on injured reserve. Earlier in the day, the safety posted a picture on Instagram saying he was out of surgery and that the procedure went well.
7. Sammy Watkins could return to the sidelines against Jacksonville this week. Bills coach Rex Ryan said of the receiver Monday, “I hope he can play some.” Watkins has been on injured reserve to rehab his oft-injured foot and has not played since Sept. 15.